Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

March 24, 2004

DSS Offices will Consolidate Effective March 29

MEXICO - The Oswego County Department of Social Services (DSS) will consolidate its services beginning Monday, March 29.

As a result, temporary assistance programs and child support services will no longer be available at the County Office Building in Fulton. Individuals seeking or receiving services through the Temporary Assistance Programs including public assistance, food stamps, and Medicaid will receive these services at the DSS office on Spring Street, Mexico. The Mexico DSS office will also handle all child support services.

The One-Stop Career Center will remain at the County Office Building, 200 N. Second St., Fulton.

For information on assistance programs including the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), call 963-5278 or 963-5341 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.

For information on child support services, call 963-5453 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Frances Lanigan, Commissioner of Social Services, said the consolidation is part of the effort to streamline services and realign the DSS workforce. She emphasizes that both Career Center offices will remain open, and that people who already have appointments with staff should keep them as scheduled.

Services for job seeker and business customers will continue to be based at the One-Stop Career Center in the county building in Fulton. The center is open to the public and offers a job bank and job referral services, along with job search assistance and information on job training programs. For information on the One-Stop Career Center services, call 591-9000 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

The Mexico Career Connection resource room will also remain open and offer job bank and job referral services along with job search assistance. For information on these services, call 963-5512 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?