Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

April 15, 2005

Division of Solid Waste Offers Tips on Recycling in Oswego County

With area residents and groups involved in Earth Day clean-up activities, the Oswego County Division of Solid Waste reminds residents that many types of containers as well as paper and other items are recyclable in Oswego County.

The county transfer stations and recycling drop-off centers are open from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and Saturday from 8 a.m. until noon. Weigh scales and sticker sales end one-half hour before closing time. Transfer stations and recycling drop-off centers are on state Route 3, Volney; county Route 7, Hannibal; U.S. Route 11, Hastings, East Seneca Street, Oswego; and county Route 2A, Pulaski.

  • Recyclable containers include bottles and jars made of clear, brown or green glass; metal cans, empty aerosol and paint cans, metal lids, and empty 1- to 3-lb. propane tanks. Plastic food containers, jugs, and bottles with the numbers 1 or 2 on the bottom are recyclable. Plastic lids and motor oil containers are not recyclable. Paper beverage cartons including milk and juice cartons and drink boxes are also recyclable. Containers should be empty, rinsed and placed in a clear plastic bag.
  • Recyclable papers include dry newspapers, magazines, brown bags, dry paper egg cartons and drink carriers, and dry corrugated cardboard and pizza boxes. Remove styrofoam packaging and any paper or plastic from boxes. Corrugated boxes should be flattened and folded. Computer paper, envelopes, post-it notes, stationery and greeting cards are also accepted at the transfer stations. Office paper should be separated from newspapers and magazines. Cereal boxes, tissue and gift boxes are not recyclable. Paper items should be placed in a trash can or clear plastic bag.
  • Dry cell batteries, including Ni-cad, AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt, 9-volt and button batteries are accepted. Button batteries should be bagged separately.
  • Yard waste and compost, including leaves, brush and tree waste, grass, fruits and vegetable wastes, may be taken to the Pulaski, Hastings, Volney or Hannibal transfer stations. They are not accepted at the Oswego transfer station.
  • Other recyclable items include scrap metal like pots and pans, metal appliances, bicycles and aluminum siding. Sealed drums, pressurized tanks and fuel tanks are not accepted. Used motor oil is accepted from residents.

For more information call the Oswego County Division of Solid Waste, phone 591-9200, weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?