Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

Sept. 9, 2005

Oswego County Will Distribute KI Sept. 20 and Sept. 23 to EPZ Households

The Oswego County Emergency Management Office and the Oswego County Health Department will distribute potassium iodide (KI) tablets Sept. 20 and Sept. 23 to people who live in the emergency planning zone surrounding the nuclear power plants in Scriba.

People who live in the 10-mile radius of Nine Mile Point may pick up potassium iodide tablets Tuesday, Sept. 20, from 1 to 7 p.m. at the Oswego County Health Department, 70 Bunner St., Oswego; and Friday, Sept. 23, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at McFee Ambulance Company, 52 Watson Avenue, Mexico.

The state and federal governments recommend KI for people who live in the 10-mile emergency planning zone (EPZ) as an additional way of protecting the public during a release of radiation at a nuclear power plant.

"KI is not considered a substitute for evacuation," said Patricia Egan, director of the Oswego County Emergency Management Office. "KI is an over-the-counter mineral salt that can help protect the thyroid gland from absorbing radioactive iodine during an emergency at a nuclear power plant."

The county will distribute a 65-mg tablet for every child weighing less than 150 pounds, and a 130-mg tablet for every adult resident of the emergency planning zone. Children are most at risk of exposure to radioactive iodine. KI is also available at area pharmacies for people who don't live in the EPZ.

After Sept. 23, people who live in the emergency planning zone will be able to pick up KI at the County Health Department, 70 Bunner St., Oswego or the County Emergency Management Office, 200 N. Second St., Fulton. The offices are open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

For more information about KI and other aspects of emergency planning, call the Emergency Management Office at 591-9150 or 1-800-962-2792.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?