[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]
Nov. 18, 2005
Families Can Explore Acres of Christmas Tree Farms in Oswego County
OSWEGO COUNTY - The end of November through December is an excellent time to gather families together. Throughout Oswego County there are many Christmas tree farms that offer great opportunities for families to pick out their own tree and bring it home for the holidays.
"The Christmas tree is part of a holiday tradition that began over a thousand years ago. Cutting a live tree can be a new family tradition during the holiday season," said Christine Gray, director of the Oswego County Department of Promotion and Tourism. "Many local tree farms also offer wreaths, wagon rides, and other activities to make a memorable holiday experience."
The Christmas Tree Farmers Association of New York Inc. offers these tips for enhancing the life of your family's Christmas tree:
Keep the tree outdoors, safe from the wind and sun until you are ready to decorate it. Before bringing it indoors, cut at least ¼- inch off the bottom so it can absorb water. Place the tree in a stand that can hold 1 gallon of water or more. Don't allow the water level to drop below the fresh cut. Your tree may drink anywhere from 2 pints to 1 gallon of water daily. Remember to check your tree daily and supply fresh water as needed.
Following is a list of Christmas tree farms in Oswego County:
- Austin Tree Farm: 221 Baldwin Road, Volney. Phone 315/598-9794. Christmas trees and wreaths. Open daylight hours.
- Bis-Mar Farms: county Route 26, West Monroe. Phone 315/668-2196. Christmas trees. Call ahead for hours.
- Beckwith Family Christmas Tree Farm: 189 Mill St., Hannibal. Phone 315/ 564-5479. Web site: www.christmastreesny.org/beckwith Christmas trees, wreaths, kissing balls, wagon rides, Christmas Caboose Gift Shop. Open weekends from 9 a.m. till dark.
- Chengerian's Tree Land: 84 Merritt Road, Lysander. Phone 315/678-2046. www.chengerians.com/ Christmas trees, wreaths, garlands, kissing balls. Call ahead for hours.
- Darling's Christmas Tree Farm: 280 Blythe Road, Hannibal. Phone 315/564-5897. www.christmastreesny.org/darlings/ Christmas trees, wreaths. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Darrow's Evergreen Acres: 407 state Route 49, Cleveland. Phone 315/676-8688. Call ahead for hours.
- Finnerty Hill Tree Farm: 3750 county Route 17, Williamstown. Phone 315/964-2212. Christmas trees, wreaths. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Goodman's Christmas Tree Farm: 460 Gilbert Mills Road, Phoenix. Phone 315/695-3576. Christmas trees, wreaths. Call ahead for hours.
- Grace Farms: 78 Gunther Road, Central Square. Phone 315/668-3318. www.gracefarmsny.com Christmas trees, wreaths, gift shop, concessions, wagon rides. Open weekends 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Granger's Tree Farm: Tubbs Road, Mexico. Phone 315/963-3480. Christmas trees, wreaths, wagon rides, concessions, petting zoo. Daily wreath making demonstrations. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Green Acres: 297 Breckheimer Road, Central Square. Phone 315/668-9492. Christmas Trees, wagon rides. Call ahead for hours.
- Hemlock Haven: 460 county Route 22A, Sandy Creek. Phone 315/ 387-5553. Christmas trees, horse drawn wagon rides, Santa, wreaths, garlands, baked goods, maple syrup. Open daily 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- H & H Trees: 1456 county Route 28 (Tinker Tavern Road), Pulaski. Phone 315/298-3251. Christmas trees, wreaths. Call ahead for hours.
- Leonard's Evergreen: 70 Dunham Road, Martville. Phone 315/ 564-5798. Website: www.christmastreesny.org/leonards Christmas trees, wreaths. Open weekdays 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and weekends 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Lone Tamarack Tree Farm: 224 state Route 69A, Parish. Phone 315/625-5334. Christmas trees. Call ahead for hours.
- Oliver Paine Greenhouse: 125 South Granby Road, Fulton. Phone 315/592-2773. www.fultonweb.com/bizdirectory/paine/ Open weekdays 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and weekends 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Ontario Orchards: state Route 104, Oswego. Phone 315/ 343-6328. www.ontarioorchards.com Open daily 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Spring Pond Farm: 3439 Route 11, Mexico. Phone 315/ 963-7590. Christmas trees, wreaths. Call ahead for hours.
- Three Seasons Farm: 429 Drybridge Road, Mexico. Phone 315/ 298-6332. Christmas trees, wreaths. Call ahead for hours.
- Trust Nursery and Florist: 4347 US Route 11, Pulaski. Phone 315/298-4184. Christmas trees, wreaths, garlands, kissing balls. Call ahead for hours.
- Whitetail Acres Christmas Tree Farm: 1685 St. Rt. 264, Phoenix. Phone 315/593-0684 Christmas trees, wreaths. Call ahead for hours.
Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?