Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

Jan. 3, 2006

Farmers Have Until Jan. 31 to Apply for Ag District Inclusion

OSWEGO - Farmers in Oswego County have until Jan. 31 to apply to have additional farmland included in the county agricultural district.

Requests should be made in writing to Ted Jerrett, Clerk of the Legislature, County Office Building, 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego, 13126. The letter of request should demonstrate that the land meets the state Department of Agriculture and Markets' criteria of being "predominantly viable agricultural land."

The letter should also include a copy of the tax map of the designated land and the tax map parcel identification number.

The county agricultural district comprises about 83,700 acres in portions of towns throughout Oswego County. The Farmland Protection Board will evaluate all requests. The board's recommendations will be referred to the County Legislature, and then sent to the State Department of Agriculture and Markets. The state agency will make the final decision on whether the land should be included.

For information, contact Jerrett at the Office of the Chairman, Oswego County Legislature, phone 349-8230 or 1-800-596-3200, ext. 8230, or Karen Meyers, Ag Program Administrative Assistant, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Oswego County, phone 963-7286.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?