[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]
May 11, 2007
Wildlife Rehabilitators and Native American Music
Will Highlight Lake Ontario Bird Festival
CONSTELLATION TO SPONSOR RAPTOR PROJECT - The Community Council of Constellation Energy Nine Mile Point has awarded a $2,500 grant to sponsor the Raptor Project at the Lake Ontario Bird Festival Saturday and Sunday, May 19 and 20, at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park, Mexico. Pictured in the front row are festival co-chair Betty Green; Maria Hudson of the Constellation Community Council; and festival co-chair Barbara Lighthall. Second row, from left, are Constellation Community Council members Theresa Chalone and Alyson Inman, and third row are Steve Taylor and Mike LaPoint of Constellation.
OSWEGO COUNTY, NY - The eleventh annual Lake Ontario Bird Festival is quickly approaching. The family-oriented birding experience takes place May 19 and 20 at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Resort, 601 County Route 16, in Mexico. There is no admission charge and events will take place rain or shine.
The 2007 festival welcomes two new headliners. Constellation Energy Nine Mile Point will sponsor “The Raptor Project” by Jonathan Wood. The Raptor Project is considered the largest collection of birds of prey in the world, and includes some of the largest and smallest raptors, from majestic eagles to tiny owls. Wood is well-known as a wildlife rehabilitator and educator, and presents his award-winning program to more than five million people each year.
The Raptor Project will be presented at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, and at noon and 1:30 p.m. Sunday.
“Constellation Energy is mindful that the nature of our business directly links us with the natural resources we all share,” said Maria Hudson, communications consultant and member of Nine Mile Point's Community Council. “We are pleased to partner with organizations that share our passion for environmental stewardship.”
Also new this year is GRAMMY nominated flutist Joseph Firecrow. Firecrow is funded by a Cultural Resources Council NYSCA Decentralization grant. He'll perform in concert at 4 p.m. Saturday. His program rounds out the Native Circle component of this year's bird festival. Returning this year are Laura “Bright Star” Vannah's totem spirits workshop, the Thunderhawk Singers with Vannah and Donald Blackfox, and Native American flutist David Searching Owl.
Visitors can also build a bluebird nesting box, learn about the fascinating birds of prey that migrate through the eastern Lake Ontario region, shop from unique vendors, participate in the annual duck race, enjoy a nature sketching workshop with Patricia Tanner, and get a firsthand look at alpacas from the Willow Creek Alpaca Farm. There are several free activities designed especially for children.
Below is the full event schedule for the 2007 Lake Ontario Bird Festival.
- 10:30 a.m. Hawk Creek with Danette Pawlowski
- 11 a.m. Important Bird Areas and Bird Identification by Jillian Liner
- 11:30 a.m. The Raptor Project by Jonathan Wood
- 12 noon Totem Spirits Workshop by Laura Vannah
- 12:30 p.m. Friends with Feathers by Ron Walker
- 1 p.m. Leave it to Beavers by Pat Carney
- 1:30 p.m. Hawk Creek with Danette Pawlowski and Field Sketching with Pat Tanner
- 2 p.m. Awards and Sponsor Reception
- 2:30 p.m. The Raptor Project by Jonathan Wood
- 3 p.m. Timberdoodle Tales by Ian and Reily Mumpton
- 3:30 p.m. Thunder Hawk Singers
- 4 p.m. Joseph Firecrow Concert
- 10:30 a.m. Landscaping, It's For The Birds by Janet Allen
- 11 a.m. Talons! A Bird of Prey Experience with Lorie Schumacher
- 11:30 a.m. Create a Monarch Waystation by Janet Allen
- 12 noon The Raptor Project by Jonathan Wood
- 12:30 p.m. Totem Spirits Workshop by Laura Vannah
- 1 p.m. Talons! A Bird of Prey Experience by Lorie Schumacher
- 1:30 p.m. Field Sketching with Pat Tanner
- 2 p.m. The Raptor Project by Jonathan Wood
- 3 p.m. Duck Race
- 3:30 p.m. Thunder Hawk Singers
- 4 p.m. Soaring Spirits Concert by David Searching Owl
The festival is sponsored by Constellation Energy -- Nine Mile Point, Town of Mexico, Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Resort, Oswego County Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning, Bright Star ProductionZ, the CRC/ NYSCA, Oswego City/County Youth Bureau, Caraccioli and Associates, Margaret Clerkin, Driftwood Motel, Eastern Shore Associates, Entergy Nuclear, Hiscock and Barclay, Lakeshore Hardwoods, Mexico Big M, New Haven Building Supply, North Country Veterinary Services, Oswego County Weeklies, Oswego County BOCES Manufacturing PLUS Program, Oswego County Mutual Insurance, PathFinder Bank, Port Lodge Motel, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Steve's Body Shop, and Stewart's Shops.
For information, call 315/963-7096 or 315/349-8322, or visit the official Web site at www.lakeontariobirdfest.com.
Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?