Oswego County News Release
Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

April 2, 2008

Seniors and Veterans Need to File Tax Return to Receive Economic Stimulus Check

Senior citizens and veterans who don't normally file a tax return will need to file a 2007 return in order to receive the federal economic stimulus payment that has been authorized by Congress.

Larry Schmidt, administrator of the Oswego County Office for the Aging, and Donna Kestner, director of the Oswego County Veterans' Service Agency, are reminding local senior citizens and veterans that they may be eligible for the economic stimulus payment if they receive social security or a veterans' pension, even if they don't normally file a tax return.

“The Internal Revenue Service will use the 2007 tax returns to determine who is eligible and the basic amount of the payment,” said Schmidt. “Qualifying income can include salaries and wages, self-employment income, social security benefits, veterans' disability compensation, and pension or survivor benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.”

Kestner said the IRS is not collecting information for the stimulus payment program over the telephone or through e-mail. Taxpayers must have a valid social security number, and must fall under the maximum income limits, in order to qualify.

“Even those who have little or no tax liability will usually get a minimum payment of $300 for a single person or $600 for a married couple filing jointly, as long as they have qualifying income of at least $3,000,” she said.

The rebate payment is phased out for individuals with adjusted gross income of more than $75,000 annually and married couples with adjusted gross income over $150,000. Anyone who is claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return will not qualify for the stimulus rebate.

Additional instructions and information about the rebate program is posted on the IRS Web site.

Taxpayers age 60 and over may receive free assistance in preparing their tax returns through the RSVP Tax-Aide Program which is co-sponsored by AARP and the IRS. Assistance is available at the Central Square Public Library Wednesdays by appointment, phone 623-9714; Fulton Municipal Building Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon and 6 to 8 p.m.; McCrobie Building, Oswego, Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Phoenix Public Library by appointment, phone 695-2553 or 458-1465; and SUNY Oswego School of Business, 118 Rich Hall, Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call RSVP at 312-2317.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?