Oswego County News Release
Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

September 22, 2008

New Enhanced Licenses Are Now Available at Oswego County DMV Offices

Oswego County Clerk George J. Williams applied for a new enhanced driverís license this week. The new licenses offer a convenient option for people driving into Canada and back to the U.S. Pictured are Williams, motor vehicle clerk Robin Davis, and Colleen Bacon, Supervisor of Motor Vehicles.

OSWEGO - Drivers can now obtain New York Stateís enhanced driverís license at Oswego Countyís branch DMV offices in Oswego, Fulton and Pulaski.

The enhanced driverís license (EDL) will allow travelers to cross the U.S. border by land or sea into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda without a passport, according to Oswego County Clerk George J. Williams. Enhanced driverís license cannot be used for air travel.

Like a driverís license, the enhanced driverís license is valid for eight years. However, drivers donít have to wait until their license expires to get the EDL. They can switch over at any time.

Williams said the EDL is considered as secure a form of identification as a passport for travelers.

ďThe new enhanced driverís license is compliant with the federal governmentís Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative,Ē said Williams. ďIt can be used instead of a passport at U.S. land and sea border crossings. For people who travel frequently into Canada, it offers a convenient option.Ē

Drivers need to show proof of citizenship and proof of identity in order to be eligible. Proof of citizenship may include a valid U.S. passport, an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a U.S. Department of State report of birth abroad. Drivers also need to bring their current New York State photo driverís license, their social security card, and proof of New York State residency.

Any two of the following documents will be accepted as proof of New York State residency: medical examinerís certificate with NYS address and signature issued within one year; voter registration notification card issued within one year; property deed; residential lease issued within one year; proof of current mortgage; property or school tax bills or receipts for the current year; federal or NYS income tax W-2 (with social security number) issued within one year; annual social security statement for the current year; selective service card; jury duty notice issued within one year; current proof of homeowners or renters insurance; NYS pistol permit; NYS professional license; NY certificate of title; photo college ID with transcript issued within one year; report card with photo ID; current proof of health insurance coverage; federal or NYS income tax or earning statement (form 1099 or 1098); unemployment benefit statement issued within one year; welfare benefit statement; SSI award statement; assisted living or nursing home statement; retirement statement; original credit card statement on letterhead issued within 120 days; military orders that are still in effect; bank statement issued within 120 days; cancelled check with preprinted named and address issued within120 days; computer printed pay stub with name and address issued within 120 days; life insurance policy or current statement issued within 120 days; or utility bill with name and address, issued within 120 days.

The charge for an EDL will range from $40 to $80, depending on the type of driverís license transaction.

For more information, contact the Oswego County DMV offices at 384 E. River Road, Oswego, phone 349-8300; 200 N. Second St., Fulton, phone 591-9136; Barclay Courthouse, Broad Street, Pulaski, phone 298-6521; or visit the NYS DMV Web site at http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl.htm.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?