[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]
January 13, 2009
Legislature Chairman Leemann Announces Standing Committee Assignments
OSWEGO - Oswego County Legislature Chairman Barry Leemann (District 4, Amboy) today announced appointments to the County Legislature's standing committees. The seven committees oversee departments of county government and make budget recommendations to the full Legislature.
Committee meetings, which are open to the public, are held in the County Office Building at 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego. The meeting schedule is posted on the county government Web site at http://www.oswegocounty.com/legislature/meetings/agenda.html.
The new standing committees are:
- Community and Consumer Affairs: Kevin Gardner (District 13, New Haven), chairman, Jack Beckwith (District 21, Hannibal) vice chairman, Clayton Brewer (District 24, Fulton), Mary Flett (District 17, Oswego); Robert Hayes, (District 10, Phoenix), Louella LeClair (District 25, Fulton), and Phillip Vasho (District 22, Fulton). The committee oversees the Board of Elections, Central Services Department, County Clerk's Office, Real Property Tax Service, and Weights and Measures Office.
- Economic Development and Planning: Morris Sorbello (District 23, Granby) chairman, Louella LeClair, vice chairwoman; Jack Beckwith, Shawn Doyle (District 3, Pulaski), Arthur Gearsbeck (District 6, West Monroe), Douglas Malone (District 20, Oswego Town), Arthur Ospelt (District 12, Pennellville). The committee oversees the Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning.
- Finance and Personnel: Arthur Ospelt, chairman, Shawn Doyle, vice chairman, Fred Beardsley (District 9, Central Square), Daniel Chalifoux (District 19, Minetto), Michael Kunzwiler (District 18, Oswego), Paul Santore (District 16, Oswego), John Proud (District 7, Mexico). The committee oversees the County Audit Office, County Administrator's Office, County Treasurer's Office, Personnel and Purchasing departments.
- Health and Human Services: John Proud, chairman, Barbara Brown (District 8, Palermo) vice chairwoman, Daniel Chalifoux, Margaret Kastler (District 1, Sandy Creek), Arthur Gearsbeck, Douglas Malone, Morris Sorbello. The committee oversees the county departments of Social Services, Health, Office for the Aging, Veterans' Services and Youth Bureau.
- Infrastructure and Facilities: Fred Beardsley, chairman, Clayton Brewer, vice chairman, Barbara Brown, Linda Lockwood (District 11, Volney), James Oldenburg (District 14, Scriba), Milferd Potter (District 2, Orwell), and Phillip Vasho. The Infrastructure and Facilities Committee is responsible for policies and legislation regarding the County Airport, the Buildings and Grounds Department, Highway, Solid Waste, and Energy Recovery Facility.
- Strategic Planning and Government: Milferd Potter, chairman, Michael Kunzwiler, vice chairman; James Bryant (District 5, Constantia), Robert Hayes, Michael Kunzwiler, James Oldenburg, John Proud, and Lee Walker Jr. (District 15, Oswego). The committee oversees the Clerk of the Legislature's Office, County Attorney's Office, County Legislature and Office of the Chairman, and the District Attorney's Office.
- Public Safety and Emergency Services: Paul Santore, chairman, James Bryant, vice chairman, Mary Flett, Margaret Kastler, Kevin Gardner, Linda Lockwood, and Lee Walker Jr. The committee oversees the E-911 Program, Emergency Management Office, Fire Coordinator's Office, Probation Department and Sheriff's Office.
For more information, contact the Office of the Chairman of the County Legislature at 349-8230 or 1-800-596-3200, ext. 8230.
Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?