Oswego County News Release
Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

May 7, 2009

New Passport Regulation Takes Effect June 1

OSWEGO - County Clerk George J. Williams is reminding residents of Oswego County that new requirements for crossing the border will take effect June 1. U.S. citizens driving, flying or crossing the border by boat into Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean islands will be required to have a valid passport, a passport card, or an enhanced New York State driver's license to get back into the U.S.

The New York State enhanced driver's license is available at the county's DMV offices in Oswego, Fulton and Pulaski. Like a driver's license, the enhanced driver's license is valid for eight years. However, drivers don't have to wait until their license expires to get the enhanced driver's license. They can switch over at any time.

The enhanced driver's license (EDL) and the passport card will allow travelers to cross the U.S. border by land or sea into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda without a passport. They cannot be used for air travel outside of the U.S.

“The federal government's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires stricter documentation when crossing the border into the U.S.,” said Williams. “Citizens need to show proof of identity and proof of U.S. citizenship. The new enhanced driver's license can be used instead of a passport at U.S. land and sea border crossings. For people who travel frequently into Canada, it offers a convenient option.”

Drivers need to show proof of citizenship and proof of identity when they apply for an enhanced driver's license or a passport card. This may include a valid U.S. passport, an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or a U.S. Department of State report of birth abroad. Drivers also need to bring their current New York State photo driver's license, their social security card, and proof of New York State residency.

The charge for an EDL is $40 to $80. It can be renewed for up to five years. The cost is pro-rated depending on the type of driver's license transaction and the length of the renewal period.

Any two of the following documents will be accepted as proof of New York State residency: medical examiner's certificate with NYS address and signature issued within one year; voter registration notification card issued within one year; property deed; residential lease issued within one year; proof of current mortgage; property or school tax bills or receipts for the current year; federal or NYS income tax W-2 (with social security number) issued within one year; annual social security statement for the current year; selective service card; jury duty notice issued within one year; current proof of homeowners or renters insurance; NYS pistol permit; NYS professional license; NY certificate of title; photo college ID with transcript issued within one year; report card with photo ID; current proof of health insurance coverage; federal or NYS income tax or earning statement (form 1099 or 1098); unemployment benefit statement issued within one year; welfare benefit statement; SSI award statement; assisted living or nursing home statement; retirement statement; original credit card statement on letterhead issued within 120 days; military orders that are still in effect; bank statement issued within 120 days; cancelled check with preprinted named and address issued within120 days; computer printed pay stub with name and address issued within 120 days; life insurance policy or current statement issued within 120 days; or utility bill with name and address, issued within 120 days.

For more information, contact the Oswego County DMV offices at 384 E. River Road, Oswego, phone 349-8300; 200 N. Second St., Fulton, phone 591-9136; Barclay Courthouse, Broad Street, Pulaski, phone 298-6521; or visit the NYS DMV Web site.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?