[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]
June 9, 2009
Oswego County Looks at Busy Fishing Tournament Schedule this Summer
A happy angler holds a king salmon entered in last July's Pro-Am Salmon and Trout Team Tournament in Oswego, NY. This year's tournament is July 11 and 12 in Oswego County.
OSWEGO COUNTY - Oswego County's excellent fishing has inspired several tournaments this summer, and hundreds of anglers of all ages are expected to participate, according to David Turner, director of the County Department of Community Development, Tourism and Planning.
Anglers will search for salmon, trout, bass and panfish on Lake Ontario, its tributaries, and smaller ponds across the region on the southeastern corner of Lake Ontario.
- June 20: Youth Fishing Tournament, Redfield Fish and Game Club. 8 a.m. to noon. Professional angler Todd Frank is on hand to help out at this event sponsored by the Redfield Fish and Game Club on Harvester Mill Road. Open to all youths up to age 15. No entry fee. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Lunch and awards ceremony follow the tournament. Sign up by 7:45 a.m. at the fish and game club on tournament day. For information call 315-652-7095.
- June 20 - July 19: Lake Ontario Counties Trout and Salmon Summer Derby. Lakewide fishing derby with thousands of dollars in cash and merchandise prizes. 888-733-5246 or 585-545-4247, Registration $25/adult, $12/youth; $70/adult season, $33/youth season includes summer derby; $15/adult one-day pass, $7/youth one-day pass. Register at All Seasons Sports, Pulaski; Fat Nancy's Tackle Shop, Pulaski; Flatrock at Jellystone Park, Mexico; K&G Lodge Twin Pines Cabins, Scriba; Larry's Oswego Salmon Shop, Oswego; Lighthouse Marina, Port Ontario; Port Ontario Tackle Shop, Port Ontario, Salmon Country Marina, Mexico; and Woody's Tackle and General Store, Port Ontario or www.loc.org.
- June 26 - June 28: Ninth annual K&G Lodge All Women's Fishing Tournament. Oswego and Scriba. The weekend includes two charters with a captain and a mate. Participants arrive on Friday, and fish Saturday and Sunday. Teams of four women each draw boat assignments for each day; everyone has a chance to win. Includes social hour on Friday evening and dinner on Saturday. K&G Lodge, 1881 Co. Rt. 1, Oswego. Call 315-343-2475 for registration details, or visit www.kglodge.com.
- June 27: 1st Annual Bass Tournament, Sandy Pond. Daylight-5 p.m. weigh in. Bass tournament, 100 percent payback. Have your catch cleaned and cooked, served with chips and cabbage salad. Sponsored by the Sandy Pond Sportsman's Association, 2301 Co. Rte. 15, Sandy Creek. Phone 315-387-6310, www.sandypondsportsmans.com. Admission $5.
- June 27: 3rd Annual Mustad Challenge. Fish from any port in Oswego and Cayuga Counties. Weigh-in at Oswego Marina. Sign up at St. Peter's Outfitters in the Oswego Marina. For information contact Capt. David Wilson by .
- July 11 - 12: 15th Annual Lake Ontario Pro-Am Salmon and Trout Team Tournament. Professional and amateur teams fish out of the ports of Oswego, Mexico, Port Ontario. Teams compete for cash and prizes. This tournament is the third in a series of four stretching from Niagara to Oswego counties. Nearly 1,200 anglers competed in the tournament series in 2008.Weigh-ins Saturday and Sunday afternoon behind the Best Western Captain's Quarters Hotel on East First Street, Oswego. Spectators free; call or visit Web site for team entry fees and more information. Call 315-349-8322 or visit www.lakeontarioproam.net.
- July 25: Mike's Little Salmon River Challenge, Mexico. Entry fee is $50 per boat, families encouraged to participate. Awards and trophies, youth division with prizes for all. Barbecue picnic available. Mike's Marina East and West, Route 104B, Mexico, NY. Call 315-963-3119 for more information and tournament rules.
- Aug. 8: Annual Flea Market, Salmon/Trout Derby & Chicken BBQ, Sandy Pond. Daylight-TBA. Salmon/trout derby, 100 percent payback. Weigh-in time TBA. Sponsored by Sandy Pond Sportsman's Association, Co. Rte. 15, www.sandypondsportsmans.com. Flea market/$5-table, Derby/$5, BBQ-$7.
- Aug. 21 - 23: Scotty's King of the Lake Tournament, Oswego. Enter best five salmon only, Chinook or coho. This tournament is part of a series on the U.S. and Canadian sides of Lake Ontario. Weigh-ins are behind the Best Western Captain's Quarters Hotel on East First Street, Oswego. Register at http://thekingofthelake.com/tournaments.php?subID=4, , or phone 905-835-8105 for details.
- Aug. 21 - Sept. 7: Lake Ontario Counties Trout and Salmon Fall Derby. Lakewide fishing derby with cash and merchandise prizes. 888-733-5246 or 585-545-4247. Registration $25/adult, $12/youth; $70/adult season, $33/youth season includes summer derby; $15/adult one-day pass, $7/youth one-day pass. Register at All Seasons Sports, Pulaski; Fat Nancy's Tackle Shop, Pulaski; Flatrock at Jellystone Park, Mexico; K&G Lodge Twin Pines Cabins, Scriba; Larry's Oswego Salmon Shop, Oswego; Lighthouse Marina, Port Ontario; Port Ontario Tackle Shop, Port Ontario, Salmon Country Marina, Mexico; and Woody's Tackle and General Store, Port Ontario or www.loc.org.
For Oswego County's current fishing conditions, accommodations, and visitor information, call 1-800-248-4FUN (4386) or go to www.visitoswegocounty.com.
Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?