Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

April 9, 2010

Oswego County HHW Facility Opens May 1

VOLNEY - The Oswego County household hazardous waste facility will re-open Saturday, May 1, at the Bristol Hill Landfill, 3125 State Route 3. The facility will be open Saturdays from 8 to 11 a.m. and Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. through the end of September.

The service is free to Oswego County residents and is sponsored by the Oswego County Legislature and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.

Director of Solid Waste Frank Visser said residents may bring the following items to the collection facility:

Acids, adhesives, aerosols, antifreeze, auto batteries, brake fluid, charcoal lighters, degreasers, dioxin pesticides, disinfectants, drain cleaners, epoxies, fiberglass resins, flea products, fluorescent lamps, compact fluorescent lamps and items that contain mercury, furniture polish, hair removers, herbicides, inks, insecticides, insect repellents, lacquers, lighter fluids, lubricants, moth balls and flakes, nail polish and remover, "no pest" strips, oven cleaners;

Oil-based paints (no latex paints will be accepted), paint removers and thinners, pesticides, photo chemicals, pool chemicals, rat poisons, rug cleaners, rust solvents, silvex pesticide, spot removers, toilet bowl cleaners, tub and tile cleaners, turpentine, varnish, waste fuels, weed killers, wood preservatives, and wood stains.

Dried latex paint, used motor oil, household batteries, cell phones, computers, electronic equipment, and appliances containing CFC refrigerant are accepted year-round at all county transfer stations. There is a $15 fee to recycle appliances that contain CFC refrigerant. There is a $5 fee to recycle computer monitors, microwave ovens and televisions because of the high cost of recycling chemicals contained in these products.

For safety reasons, Visser said, people should not bring children or pets to the collection site. Materials must be in their original containers and should be placed in sturdy cardboard boxes. Leaking containers should be wrapped in newspaper and placed in a clear plastic bag. Smoking is prohibited in the unloading area.

For information call the Oswego County Solid Waste Office at 315-591-9200, or visit the Department of Solid Waste Web site at oswegocounty.com/dsw.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?