Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

June 1, 2010

Oswego County HHW Facility Is Open for the Season

VOLNEY - Oswego County residents can bring outdated cleansers, pesticides and other household chemical products to the County household hazardous waste facility on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Household hazardous wastes are accepted Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 to 11 a.m. through the end of September at the Bristol Hill Landfill, 3125 State Route 3, Volney.

The service is free to Oswego County residents and is sponsored by the Oswego County Legislature and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.

A variety of household products can be properly disposed of at the facility, including acids, adhesives, aerosols, antifreeze, auto batteries, brake fluid, charcoal lighters, degreasers, dioxin pesticides, disinfectants, drain cleaners, epoxies, fiberglass resins, flea products, fluorescent lamps, compact fluorescent lamps and items that contain mercury, furniture polish, hair removers, herbicides, inks, insecticides, insect repellents, lacquers, lighter fluids, lubricants, moth balls and flakes, nail polish and remover, "no pest" strips, oven cleaners, oil-based paints (no latex paints will be accepted), paint removers and thinners, pesticides, photo chemicals, pool chemicals, rat poisons, rug cleaners, rust solvents, silvex pesticide, spot removers, toilet bowl cleaners, tub and tile cleaners, turpentine, varnish, waste fuels, weed killers, wood preservatives, and wood stains.

Dried latex paint, used motor oil, household batteries, cell phones, computers, electronic equipment, and appliances containing CFC refrigerant are accepted year-round at all county transfer stations. There is a $15 fee to recycle appliances that contain CFC refrigerant. There is a $5 fee to recycle computer monitors, microwave ovens and televisions because of the high cost of recycling chemicals contained in these products.

People should not bring children or pets to the collection site. Materials must be in their original containers and should be placed in sturdy cardboard boxes. Leaking containers should be wrapped in newspaper and placed in a clear plastic bag. Smoking is prohibited in the unloading area.

For information call the Oswego County Solid Waste Office at 315-591-9200, or visit the Department of Solid Waste Web site at oswegocounty.com/dsw.

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?