Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

February 2, 2011

Oswego County Rescinds Fee to Recycle TVs, Monitors and Microwaves

Oswego County residents will no longer be charged a fee to recycle old TV sets, computer monitors and microwave ovens at the county recycling drop-off centers.

The county began charging a $5 fee last year to help offset the cost of recycling electronic items that contain large amounts of heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and cadmium.

Changes in the contract with its recycling vendor will allow the Department of Solid Waste to earn more revenue this year from the sale of electronics, said Legislator James Oldenburg (District 14, Scriba), chairman of the Legislature's Infrastructure and Facilities Committee. The committee voted to rescind the fee at its Jan. 25 meeting, "Any time that we're able to do away with fees, we certainly will do what we can to save our constituents money," said Legislator Oldenburg. "This is very encouraging news. We'll continue to look for other opportunities to do so."

In addition to Legislator Oldenburg, the committee includes Barbara Brown , vice chairwoman (District 8, Palermo); Daniel Chalifoux (District 19, Minetto); Mark Fruce (District 24, Fulton); Linda Lockwood (District 11, Volney); Milferd Potter; and Amy Tresidder (District 16, Oswego).

Oswego County transfer stations and recycling drop-off centers are located at Bristol Hill, 3125 NYS Route 3, Volney; 1167 County Route 7, Hannibal; 1391 U.S. Route 11, Hastings; 700 E. Seneca St., Oswego; and 100 County Route 2A, Pulaski.

The transfer stations and recycling drop-off centers are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon. Sticker and punch card sales and weigh scales close ½-hour before the transfer stations close.

For more information, call the Department of Solid Waste at 591-9200, or visit oswegocounty.com/dsw/index.html

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?