Oswego County Public Information Office, 46 East Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126

[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]

Oct. 2, 2015

AmeriCorps announces openings for fall programs

OSWEGO -AmeriCorps has provided almost one million Americans with a way to serve and give back to their communities since 1993. AmeriCorps is often called the "domestic Peace Corps." AmeriCorps members can participate in a term of service for a few months or a year. Sara Wallace completed her fourth term of service as an AmeriCorps member in June at Leighton Elementary School.

"The school staff has been very vocal about how much of an asset AmeriCorps members really are to the Leighton team," said Sara."The students benefit and enjoy working with us."

Locally, two AmeriCorps programs, administered by the Oswego City-County Youth Bureau,provide county residents with opportunities to serve. Oswego AmeriCorps members serve youth by providing mentoring, fitness activities, nutrition education and volunteer management.

Oswego Economic Development Corps members provide housing services and financial literacy education to economically disadvantaged individuals. "You can make a difference in your community. AmeriCorps is a way to help others while enriching your own life in the process," said AmeriCorps Program CoordinatorKathy Andolina.

There are currently openings for Oswego AmeriCorps members at Hannibal High School, Oswego Public Library, Oswego Community Christian Schooland Oswego Youth Court. Openings for Oswego Economic Development Corps are at Catholic Charities.

Both 300-hour and 900-hour positions are available in these programs. For a 900-hour position, a member receives a living allowance that is paid through bi-weekly pay checks that total $6,527. After the term of service is completed, the member receives an education award of $2,865 that can be used to finance college or pay student loans at qualified institutions. A 300-hour member receives a total living allowance of $2,113 and an education award of $1,212. Members 55 or older can transfer their education award to a child or grandchild.

For more information, contact Andolina at (315) 349-3451 or kathleen@oswegocounty.com. The member application can be found at oswegocounty.com/youth

Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?