[Public Information Main Menu] [Oswego County Homepage]
November 20, 2017
Oswego Museums Open Saturday Afternoon -
Nov. 25 Tree Lighting Event Includes Free Admission at Local Museums
OSWEGO - Families may visit Oswego's museums for free during the city's annual tree-lighting celebration Saturday afternoon, Nov. 25.
Museums in the historic Port City will be open with free admission from 1 to 5 p.m. They include:
- H. Lee White Maritime Museum, 1 W. First St. Pier
- Oswego Railroad Museum, 56 W. First St.
- Richardson-Bates House Museum, 135 E. Third St.
- Safe Haven Holocaust Refugee Shelter Museum, 2 E. Seventh St.
The theme is "An Oswego Christmas." A full day of family activities is scheduled, including Santa and his reindeer, an inflatable snow globe, scavenger hunt, music, horse and carriage rides, and fireworks over the river. The event is sponsored by the Oswego City-County Youth Bureau and the City of Oswego.
The schedule is:
- 10 a.m. to noon: Scavenger hunt (downtown businesses) for kids up to age 12. Call 315-349-3451 to register your child. Details will be posted on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/513646158971396.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Toys for Tots (Oswego Elks Club)
- 1-2 p.m. Honor Choir from Riley School (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 2-3 p.m. Kay Miracle sings Christmas Songs (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 3-3:30 p.m. Oswego Players (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 3:30-4 p.m. Theater De Jour (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 4-4:30 p.m. Creation Studios (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 4:45-5 p.m. Christmas Blessing (Rev. George DeMass, stage at Civic Plaza)
- 5-5:10 p.m. Mayor's opening speech (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 5:10-5:30 p.m. Michael Callahan, singing Elvis and Christmas songs (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 5:30-5:45 p.m. Coloring and story contest winners from the schools (Stage at Civic Plaza)
- 5:45-6 p.m. "Twas the Night Before Christmas" (Kevin Caraccioli, stage at Civic Plaza)
- 6 p.m. Tree Lighting, immediately followed by fireworks over Oswego River.
MORE FUN ACTIVITIES:
- 12-3 p.m. Horse and carriage rides (West Second Street up Oneida Street to West Fifth Street (drop off for TOYS for TOTS) left on Fifth to Mohawk Street back to West Second Street) West Oneida from Second to Third Streets will be closed off for horse rides to unload.
- 1-6 p.m. Inflatable Snow Globe (Civic Plaza, you can get in it for pics)
- 1-6 p.m. Carnival Game (Reifke Concessions) West Second Street and Oneida Street. $1 a game; all proceeds will be donated to a children's charity.
- 2-6 p.m. Two Live Reindeer (Civic Plaza) Take pictures and pet them.
- 2 p.m. Christmas parade at Mother Earth Baby led by Oswego Fire Department and Oswego Police Department. The parade will start at West Fifth Street and go to Oneida Street to Civic Plaza.
- 2:30-5 p.m. Santa Claus at City Hall (2nd floor)
- Music provided for the day by "Just Push Play Productions" (Stage on West First Street)
- Museums will be open 1-5 p.m. Free admission.
- Food vendors: The Moose Shack, Provisions Catering, and Phat Kat Foods (West First Street)
- Balloon animals (inside city hall)
- Oswego Lions Club: Cookies and hot chocolate (inside city hall)
- Oswego Sunrise Rotary: Donuts (outside under tent)
- Big Kahuna Party Rentals: Popcorn (outside)
- Goody bags for each child. As they come down the stairs from visiting Santa Claus, they will be handed one goody bag. One photo per family with Santa Claus.
Details for the event are posted on "An Oswego Christmas" Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/513646158971396.
Oswego's museums will be open with free admission Saturday afternoon, Nov. 25, as part of the "An Oswego Christmas" event. Pictured is a display about the Port City's shipping days at the H. Lee White Maritime Museum. (Photo by David Owens, Oswego County Tourism.)
Questions about the Oswego County Public Information Office?