[Oswego County Homepage]
Welcome to Office for the Aging!
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
2015 Spring/Summer Newsletter
Help and Information for Senior Citizens
The Oswego County Office for the Aging (OFA) helps seniors through directly provided services such as case management, insurance counseling, the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), and outreach. Services contracted to other agencies and funded through OFA include: senior nutrition service, transportation, legal services, health promotion, personal care aides and housekeeper chore aides.
There are no fees for most OFA services. Voluntary contributions are suggested and gladly accepted. Programs are funded by federal, state and county grants through the NYS Office for the Aging and the Oswego County Office for the Aging, sponsored by Oswego County Government.
- Language Interpretive Services Available.
- Outreach Program - Staff outreach into the community to locate those who are unaware of available services. Staff can make visits to those who are homebound due to poor health or lack of transportation.
- Senior Nutrition Program – Eligible participants are provided meals for the more rural, isolated elderly in the county through the Home Delivered Meals Program or may attend a congregate meal site (Senior Dining and Activity Center) located at 8 sites throughout the County.
- Transportation – Participants of our Senior Dining and Activity Centers are eligible for transportation to sites and shopping.
- Legal Referral – Residents 60+ years old can be referred to a local attorney through our legal referral program. Seniors can obtain information, guidance and legal representation, dependent on whether or not a legal problem exists.
- Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) Provides unbiased health insurance and prescription insurance counseling for those who are Medicare eligible.
- Home Care Program – Provides (under Subcontract) in-home care (personal care and/or housekeeper chore) services for those 60+ years old who require assistance to remain in their own homes. Participation in program may be required to pay a percentage of the cost of service, or make contributions.
- Caregiver Services Program - Provide caregivers with much needed support. Caregiver services are vital to keeping older people in their homes.
Oswego County Office for the Aging Brochure
Senior Citizen Clubs:
- There is a long list of Senior Citizen Clubs throughout Oswego County. For information on this list, contact the Office for the Aging at 349-3484.
New York State Senior Citizen Hotline:
New York State Office for Aging
Gives state and local information and referral about service for the aging. Information is provided on local Offices for the aging, energy, housing, legal problems, tax, transportation, employment, nutrition, in-home services, health care and benefit programs. Callers also receive information on state publications and forms.
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. After hours and on holidays, callers can leave a message with name, area code and county. Calls will be returned as soon as possible.
Questions about the Oswego County Office for the Aging?