Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) is a federally-funded program from the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and is administered by the New York State Office for the Aging.
HIICAP provides you and your loved ones with information, education and counseling about Medicare and other health insurances. Trained staff and volunteers will answer your questions.
The services provided by HIICAP are both free and unbiased. The answers to your questions are just a free phone call, or mouse click away.
Although HIICAP is free, contributions are accepted to help cover the cost of services. The actual cost of an hour of counseling is $30. The suggested contribution is $5 an hour, making the program affordable to participants. All contributions are confidential and voluntary. No one will be denied service because of their inability or unwillingness to contribute.
HIICAP can help you:
- Understand the Medicare prescription drug benefit (Medicare Part D) and how to select the best plan
- Understand low-income subsidy programs, including “Extra Help” and Medicare Saving Program (MSP)
- Find ways to pay for your prescription drugs or medical equipment
- Understand and apply for EPIC (Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage)
- Choose between original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans including HMO's, PPO's, Private for Service (PFFS), Special Needs Plans and Medical Savings Accounts
- Understand Medicare rules and your medical bills
- Report possible Medicare fraud or abuse
- Appeal a decision by Medicare, your managed care provider or other health insurance company
- Discover ways to fill in Medicare’s gaps
- File an insurance claim and deal with paperwork
- Learn about prevention and screening coverage that keeps you healthy or helps detect issues early
~Set up a meeting with a counselor
~Request publications on special topics
~Ask about group educational meetings
You can also go to the New York State HIICAP web site for issues that are specific to New York State residents: aging.ny.gov/programs/medicare-and-health-insurance
For general information and publications, call 1-800-Medicare or, for current information on Medicare, Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage, managed care or Medicare Advantage, log on to www.medicare.gov