most requested services

Latest News Departments Tax Info Apply For... Public Meetings

stay connected


Contact Us

800-596-3200 Citizen Request

Pistol Permits

The Oswego County Clerk is responsible for maintaining the records of pistol permit holders within Oswego County. The Honorable Walter W Hafner Jr., Oswego County Court Judge, acts as the issuing officer and determines the approval, revocation, and suspension of permits. 

New Applications 
Pistol permit applications are available to Oswego County residents over the age of 21. The applications can be obtained in the Oswego County Clerk's office at 46 E. Bridge St., Oswego, NY 13126  for $20 fee.  A three-hour hand gun safety class certificate and receipt for fingerprinting will accompany the application. Fingerprinting appointments can be made by visiting or by phone at 877-472-6915. When scheduling the appointment please reference the service code 157QJJ. Fully completed applications can be turned into the Oswego County Sheriff's Department by appointment by calling 315-349-3320

Approved applicants will be notified by the Oswego County Clerk's office that their new permit is available for pick up. 

Amendments to pistol permits can be done by visiting the clerks  office.

Adding/Removing: If you are adding or removing a handgun we require a bill of sale from a licensed New York  gun dealer. There is a $3 fee per gun added or removed and a $5 card fee.

As of December 2017, "Joint Use" is now allowed between married couples living in the same household. This does not mean joint ownership and in the event the marriage is dissolved, proper paper work will need to filed to designate the proper owner.  

Please be advised, if it has been five (5) years since your last background check or issuance of your permit, a background check will need to be done and signed by the judge before we can issue the coupon for you to pick up your gun. The fee $5. 

Name Change: Please bring you pistol permit and proof of name change (i.e. marriage certificate, new driver's licenses, etc.) to our office. There is a $3  amendment fee and $5 card fee. 

Transferring: If you are moving outside of Oswego County, you must transfer your pistol permit to the new county of residence. This can be done by coming into our office, or filling out this form and mailing it to our office, accompanied with a $5 check.

If you are transferring in from another county, we will call you or send you a letter once we receive your pistol permit information. You will come in and fill out a background check that gets sent to the judge. Once we receive that back from the judge, we will give you a call that your Oswego County pistol permit is ready to be picked up. The total cost to transfer into Oswego County is $15.

Recertification is done through the New York State Police. Please visit:

Other Links 
Public Records Exemption Form
Safe Act Information

NYS Assault Weapon Registration

Please call 315-349-8620 for more information.