Department of Real Property Tax Services
Please note that our office does not set or approve assessments, collect property taxes, or keep records of tax bills or receipts. For those topics please refer to the following agencies:
- Assessments: contact your local City or Town Assessor or look up assessments online.
- Collection of Property Taxes: contact your local Tax Collector.
- Collection of Delinquent Property Taxes: contact the County Treasurer.
- Tax Records/Receipts: Check here to see if these records are available online.
The New York State Real Property Tax Law, as amended by Chapter 957 of the Laws of 1970 added Article 15A-title one “County Services to Cities and Towns” Article 15A requires that each county (excepting Nassau, Tompkins, Rockland, and the five counties that make up the City of New York) maintain a Real Property Tax Services Agency. The head of the county real property tax services agency is known as the Director of Real Property Tax Services. The director is appointed by the legislative body of the county for a six-year term.
Services provided include:
- Maintain tax maps that serve as base maps for Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Maintain, implement and administer the GIS system
- Maintain and produce assessment rolls, tax rolls and tax bills
- Process applications for corrected tax billings
- Provide assistance in the enforcement of unpaid taxes (Annual Tax Auction)
- Provide training for assessors and boards of assessment review members
- Administer special franchise, utilities and special district tax matters
- Provide real property tax exemption administration services
- Administer and maintain the Real Property System (RPS) – NYS software system used by all municipalities in Oswego County
- Provide advisory appraisals to the county and/or the local assessor
- Provide assistance to the general public regarding real property tax matters
- Provide assistance and support to local municipalities in assessment administration matters
- Serve as the clearing house for the collection and distribution of information relating to the assessment of real property
- Serve school districts and local municipalities in the preparation of levy and apportionment data
- Produce and provide “Impact Notices” and Change of Assessment Notices for all municipalities in Oswego County
- Maintain the RPTS web site with assessment data for consumers and taxpayers