most requested services

Latest News Departments Tax Info Apply For... Public Meetings

stay connected


Contact Us

800-596-3200 Citizen Request

Certificate of Residence

Certificates of Residence will be issued upon completing the application and providing documentation demonstrating that you meet the following criteria:
                         *  Legal resident of Oswego County for the last six (6) consecutive months 
                         *  Resident of New York State for one (1) year
                         *  Registered at a NYS community college
                         *  Legal resident of the United States

Residency Definition: "The legal residence of a college student is presumed to be the residence of the parent, guardian, or any other permanent residence PRIOR to the student's enrollment at the college. Residency is not gained or lost by attending college and such attendance does NOT change the student's legal residence."
Issuance of CertificateWindow for eligible applications to receive a Certificate of Residence is 60 calendar days before the start of class of the selected NYS community college through 30 calendar days after the first day of class. Certificates will not be issued outside of this period. 
All Certificates of Residence expire on July 31st, at the end of the college academic year.

Multiple Community CollegesIf attending or taking on line courses with multiple community colleges, one certificate will be required for each community college.

Minimum Application Requirements:
  • Completion of Oswego County Certificate of Residence application - must be notarized if mailed.
  • Government issued photo ID  with current address, usually driver's license. PO Boxes, licenses issued less than one year and licenses with address change stickers require additional documentation.
  • Proof of registration at Community College - class schedule or tuition bill

Certificate of Residence Application

Please contact the Oswego County Treasurer's office if you have any questions on completing the application at 315-349-8371.

If a Certificate of Residence is issued, two (2) copies will be provided to the student. It is the student's responsibility to provide the Certificate of Residence to the college.       

  • 1st copy: It is the student's responsibility to provide this to the selected community college. If the student  changes their name or their legal address,  a new Certificate of Residence should be obtained as we verify the college bill to the issued Certificate of Residence.                  
  • 2nd copy: For the student to keep until they complete college. The county does not reissue, copy or look up Certificate of Residences after issuance.  

High School students who are attending through their high school: your Certificate of Residence should come through your high school and two copies will be returned to your high school. Please contact your high school coordinator regarding these courses.


Only the following are considered community colleges in NYS as related to Certificates of Residence:

  • SUNY Adirondack
  • SUNY Broome
  • Cayuga Community College
  • Clinton Community College
  • Columbia Greene Community College
  • SUNY Corning Community College
  • Dutchess Community College
  • SUNY Erie
  • Fashion Institute of Techology
  • Finger Lakes Community College
  • Fulton-Montgomery Community College
  • SUNY Genesee Community College
  • Herkimer Community College
  • Hudson Valley Community College
  • Jamestown Community College
  • SUNY Jefferson
  • Mohawk Valley Community College
  • Monroe Community College
  • Nassau Community College
  • Niagara County Community College
  • North Country Community College
  • Onondaga Community College
  • SUNY Orange
  • Rockland Community College
  • SUNY Schenectedy County Community College
  • Suffolk County Community College
  • SUNY Sullivan
  • Tompkins Cortland Community College (TC3)
  • SUNY Ulster County Community College
  • Westchester Community College