Legal Assistance Referral Program
The Office for the Aging Legal Assistance Referral Program provides legal assistance to residents of Oswego County who are age 60 plus. Legal assistance means legal advice and representation provided by an attorney to older persons, especially to those with economic or social needs. OFA contracts with Thomas A. Reynolds from the local law firm of Reynolds and McGowan, PLLC.
Upon eligibility approval and referral by the Office for the Aging, senior citizens may obtain information, legal advice, guidance and legal representation, dependent upon whether or not a legal problem exists.
Priority issues are:
- Income, nutrition and other benefits: Social Security, SSI, food stamps, workers compensation, Veterans benefits, HEAP, unemployment
- Housing and utilities: tenant issues, foreclosure, home repair fraud, utility shut offs, energy issues, home ownership, real property, home equity conversion
- Health and Long Term Care: Medicare, Medicaid, nursing home, adult home, insurance, home health care, Cobra, QMB
- Guardianship, abuse and neglect: defense of guardianship, representative payee, abuse cases, financial exploitation
- Consumer: contracts, warranties, tax, loans, collection, non-health insurance issues
- Other categories: Americans with Disabilities Act, grandparents rights
Legal Aid Society
Volunteer Lawyers Project
Are you in need of legal assistance? Contact the Office for the Aging by phone 315-349-3484 or E-mail.
Return to OFA home